A Brief History
August 28, 1878
Organized as the "Swedish Lutheran Church of Sandhem" with eight families and nine single men. The Augustana Synod constitution was adopted March, 1879. Charles Anderson donated land for a church cemetery a short distance from the church. It remains a beautiful country cemetery.
The original church was built for $1000 on land purchased from member John Strand for $25.
The church bell was purchased for $160 and rung for the first time on New Year's Day, 1900.
Art windows were installed in the church at a cost of $172.
The English language was adopted as the official language of the church.
Renamed "Swedish Immanuel Lutheran Church of Kellogg": in 1929 "Kellogg" was changed to "Allegan"; in 191 the word "Swedish" was removed.
Immanuel became affiliated with the Lutheran Church in America (LCA)
The Grand Street church was completed. The sanctuary's steeply vaulted ceiling and natural cedar and brick interior has maintained it original beauty.
The stained glass windows were added. The windows, of exquisite design, were made by members at the home of Dennis Johnson. Member Bill Kreger designed the windows.
The congregation unanimously approved a proposal for a 4,500 square foot addition and improvements to the Grand Street church.
The Original Church
Sandra Horwath -
Trevor Horwath -